Consumer Resources (for Individuals with Military Connections)
Consumer issues, like credit or debt collection, can affect us all. Your connection with the military may provide you some legal protections that others may not have. Legal protections are not only provided for active duty members of the military, but also for veterans, families and other types of military connections. See the links below to learn more about consumer law resources that may benefit you and your family.
STATESIDE LEGAL RESOURCES
- Consumer Issues, Credit and Debt Collection Overview
- Video on Consumer and Financial Protections
- Bankruptcy Overview
- Interactive Form - Letter to Request 6% Loan Interest Rate
- Military Service and Social Security
- Website - Department of Veterans Affairs
- Website - Veterans Benefits Administration
- Free Annual Credit Report
- National Consumer Law Center Consumer Brochures
- Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information
- Center for Responsible Lending Tools and Resources
- FTC's Identity Theft: Deter, Detect, Defend
- National Do Not Call Registry - stop unwanted telemarketing calls
- SafeLink Wireless - Free limited cellphone service for low-income consumers
- Consumer Sentinel/Military - a secure online database of millions of consumer complaints, operated by the Federal Trade Commission
- Involuntary Allotment from Military Personnel to Commercial Debt Fact Sheet
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act Fact Sheet - Bankruptcy and Debt
NOTE: Some of these resources are in the Adobe Acrobat PDF file format. You may need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.
We do not intend this information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action.
Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites.