Any adult who wants to change his or her name can do so by filing a petition for change of name with the court in the county where they live. Generally, this is done without much questioning by the judge, but a court appearance may be required.
Asking the court to change the name of a minor can be far more complex because there may be other people who do not wish for the child’s name changed. Changing the name of a child does not change any legal responsibilities of the parents. For example, a parent who is paying child support must continue to do so.
This section contains links that offer information about name change law in Arkansas. There are pdf fact sheets and pdf forms to help you better understand family law in Arkansas.
FACT SHEETS & LEGAL INFORMATION
See these resources to learn how to file a petition to change your name or the name of your child.
- Fact Sheet - Name Change for Minor
- Fact Sheet Spanish - Name Change (Minor)
- GUIDE BOOK - ARTEC Name & Gender Change Guide
FORMS & COURT INFORMATION
- Form - Affidavit of Consent (by other parent)
- Form - Affidavit of Proof of Service by Certified Mail
- Form - Name Change (Minor)
- Form - Name Change (Minor) - Single Parent
- Form - Name Change Petition. Fill in and print this form to file for a name change. Be sure to read the Fact Sheet first!
- Form - Name Change Order. Fill in and print this form to accompany the petition for a name change. Be sure to read the Fact Sheet first!
- Form - Confidential Information Sheet (Court Cover Sheets)
- Form - Confidential Information Sheet (Instructions) (Court Cover Sheets)
- Form - Civil Cover Sheet and Instructions (Court Cover Sheets)
OTHER RESOURCES (Other Websites)
- Arkansas Circuit Court Domestic Relations - Information and Forms
- ARKANSAS LAW - Arkansas Code - Unannotated (LexisNexis)
The fact sheets are in Adobe Acrobat PDF files. You may need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.
We are providing this information as a public service. We try to make it accurate. Sometimes the laws change. We cannot promise that the information is always up- to-date and correct. We do not intend this information to be legal advice. We do not intend it as advertising or solicitation. By providing this information, we are not acting as your lawyer. Always talk to a competent lawyer, if you can, before taking legal action. Some of the items listed here have not been prepared by us, but rather are links to information prepared and posted by others. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of information posted on these sites.