Petition to Seal for Misdemeanors Flow Chart

Updated December 2016   Fact Sheet PDF


In some cases, you can ask the court to seal your criminal record from public view. (This used to be called expungement.) Your records won't be physically destroyed, but they will be sealed and treated as confidential. This flow chart is for misdemeanors only. 


Your Judgment and Commitment Order will help you in navigating the flow chart below. You may also need your sentencing order from the court that details the sentence you received. If you do not have these documents, you can get them from the clerk’s office where you were sentenced. You may be charged a small fee (generally $5) to get the copies.


If you were not convicted (dismissal, nolle prosequi, or acquittal), see the next page for Misdemeanor Non-Conviction Flow Chart.


Misdemeanor Conviction Flow Chart


Misdemeanor Non-Conviction Flow Chart


For more information, please visit


This fact sheet is a collaboration of the Center for Arkansas Legal Services and Legal Aid of Arkansas, Inc. These nonprofit organizations provide free legal assistance to eligible Arkansans who meet income, asset, and other guidelines. Legal assistance may also include advice and counsel, brief services, or full representation depending on the situation. For more information about civil legal aid in Arkansas, please visit For information specific to Legal Aid of Arkansas, Inc., visit Apply for services online or by calling 1-800-9-LAW-AID (1-800-952-9243).
The information and statements of law in this fact sheet should not be considered legal advice. This fact sheet is provided as a broad guide to help you understand how certain legal matters are handled in general. Courts may interpret the law differently. Before you take action, talk to an attorney and follow his or her advice. Always do what the court tells you to do.
Content provided by: Center for Arkansas Legal Services


How helpful do you find the information on this page?

Add comment