Wills for Veterans Outreach Event 2013
Wills for Veterans is a free service that will be provided by Arkansas attorneys from multiple organizations, law firms, bar associations, and the UALR Bowen School of Law.
Volunteer attorneys will be available to prepare simple wills, advance directives, and powers of attorney for health care and financial matters to veterans in central Arkansas. Veterans and their families can participate and be provided with basic end-of-life legal documents. Schedule an appointment time online
To give back to the men and women who give so much to us, we're offering to create legal documents for veterans for free. Veterans and their spouses or partners will be able to meet with attorneys to create the following legal documents:
- Living Will
- Simple Will (Last Will and Testament)
- Durable General Power of Attorney
- Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care
Appointments will be set in Little Rock on Tuesday, October 22, 2013, at the UALR Bowen School of Law between the hours of 4:30 and 8 p.m. The UALR Bowen School of Law is located at 1201 McMath Avenue in Little Rock.
If you are a veteran in the central Arkansas area and would like to receive these free services, sign up online or sign up by contacting Erin Jacobson by phone at 501-492-7175 or via e-mail at [email protected].
More information about the legal documents that first responders may request can be found here in this Client Document Summary.
If you would like to volunteer as an attorney, legal assistant, notary public, or law student, you can register online.
We are hosting two outreach events the week of National Pro Bono Week. To volunteer at the UALR Bowen School of Law outreach event for veterans, contact Center for Arkansas Legal Services Pro Bono Coordinator Donna Ramsey via e-mail or by phone at 501-376-3423, ext. 111. To volunteer at the Arkansas Children's Hospital outreach event, contact Legal Aid of Arkansas MLP Pro Bono Coordinator Wendy Higgins via e-mail or by phone at 501-364-1541.
Attorneys who volunteer will be paired with law students from the UALR Bowen School of Law and will be provided form documents and one hour of free CLE-accredited training immediately prior to the event. Volunteers will work under the sponsorship of the Center for Arkansas Legal Services.
Volunteers are encouraged to sign up by Friday, October 18, 2013.
Event Sponsors & Partners
- Arkansas Access to Justice Commission (more about the Commission)
- Arkansas Bar Association (more about Ark Bar)
- Arkansas Legal Services Partnership (more about ALSP)
- Arkansas Pro Bono Partnership (learn more)
- Center for Arkansas Legal Services (more about CALS)
- Pulaski County Bar Association (more about PCBA)
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock Bowen School of Law (more about Bowen School of Law)
- Volunteer Organization of Center for Arkansas Legal Services (more about VOCALS)
see more PRO BONO WEEK EVENT HIGHLIGHTS
Arkansas is celebrating National Pro Bono Week beginning October 21, 2013, as part of a coordinated national effort to meet the ever-growing needs of the country's most vulnerable citizens.
- Monday, October 21 - Center for Arkansas Legal Services Open House & Student Pro Bono Award Reception
- Tuesday, October 22 – Free Lawyers for Wills for Veterans Outreach Event in Central Arkansas
- Wednesday, October 23 - Free Lawyers for Medical-Legal Partnership Wills Clinic
- Thursday, October 24 - iProBono Video Collection, Legal Aid of Arkansas Open House & Reception, & National Pro Bono Week Luncheon at UA School of Law in Fayetteville
- Friday, October 25 - Just Jeans & HOPE 2013