Any adult who wants to change his or her name can do so by filing a petition for change of name with the court in the county where they live. Generally, this is done without much questioning by the judge, but a court appearance may be required.
Asking the court to change the name of a minor can be far more complex because there may be other people who do not wish for the child’s name changed. Changing the name of a child does not change any legal responsibilities of the parents. For example, a parent who is paying child support must continue to do so.
This section contains links that offer information about name change law in Arkansas. There are pdf fact sheets and pdf forms to help you better understand family law in Arkansas.
FORMS & COURT INFORMATION
- Form - Affidavit of Consent (by other parent)
- Form - Affidavit of Proof of Service by Certified Mail
- Form - Name Change (Minor)
- Form - Name Change Petition. Fill in and print this form to file for a name change.
- Form - Name Change Order. Fill in and print this form to accompany the petition for a name change.
- Form - Confidential Information Sheet (Court Cover Sheets)
- Form - Confidential Information Sheet (Instructions) (Court Cover Sheets)
- Form - Civil Cover Sheet and Instructions (Court Cover Sheets)
OTHER RESOURCES (Other Websites)
- Arkansas Circuit Court Domestic Relations - Information and Forms
- ARKANSAS LAW - Arkansas Code - Unannotated (LexisNexis)
The fact sheets are in Adobe Acrobat PDF files. You may need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.