Sealing Criminal Records, or Expungement
In some cases, you can ask the court to seal your criminal record from public view. This used to be called expungement. It is now called Petition and Order to Seal. Your records won't be physically destroyed, but they will be sealed and treated as confidential. Below you will find several different resources for sealing your criminal record.
Click on the button below and then type "expungement" in the field. We are using NEXT-Generation Legal Technology developed by AUX to help you with your expungement process.
AUX created Docubot™—a technology that uses the collective knowledge of hundreds of attorneys and artificial intelligence to automatically create your personalized expungement forms to ask that a misdemeanor be sealed in Arkansas.
Records That Cannot Be Sealed
- sexual offense in which the victim was under the age of 18 years
- felony in which you spent any time in the Arkansas Department of Corrections
- Class Y felony
- Class A or B felony that are not drug offenses
- unclassified felony with a maximum sentence that was more than 10 years
- violent felony
If any of the above is true, you will need to complete an application for pardon on the Arkansas Governor's website.
Before completing the Petition and Order to Seal forms, it helps to have your Judgment and Commitment Order. If you do not have this legal document, you can go to the clerk's office where you were sentenced and ask for a copy. The clerk may charge a small fee (generally $5) for the copies.
This section contains links that offer information about expungement laws in Arkansas. There are pdf fact sheets, pdf forms, and interactive forms to help you understand sealing your criminal records in Arkansas.
- "Background Checks"
- "Order to Seal" * Webpage by Arkansas Crime Information Center (ACIC) Including PDF Forms
- "Petition to Seal"
- "Petition to Seal" * Webpage by Arkansas Crime Information Center (ACIC) Including Instructions and PDF Forms
- "Petition to Seal FAQ"
- "Petition to Seal for Felonies Flow Chart"
- "Petition to Seal for Misdemeanors Flow Chart"
- "Petition to Seal Packet"
These fact sheets are Adobe Acrobat pdf files. You may need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them.